Hello Everyone! Hope you’re all happy, well, and sitting pretty on a pile of cash.
Regularly Scheduled Meetings:
Human Rights Watch survey:
So, remember when I said that we’d be sending out a link to a completely anonymous online survey from Human Rights Watch about access to health services (and other stuff) for sex workers? Well, that survey is up. Email us if you’d like to take it, and we’ll send you a link to the survey.
They’d like responses from a variety of local providers. After they collect and review all the responses, they want to make suggestions to the government about how to make HIV services (prevention, treatment, etc.) better in New Orleans. I just filled the survey out, and it took less than 5 minutes, so if you have a few minutes to spare, please do!
NOLA Pride Fest: NOLA Pride is June 21-24!!
Desiree Alliance Conference in Vegas:
- reminder: we do have an account on SafeOffice.com for you to use. If you’d like to view/use the blacklist, hotel reviews, and resources on the site, please email us for the account username and password.
- SWOP in Sydney, Australia has their annual Hookers and Strippers Winter Ball tomorrow. We should totally do something like this in New Orleans this year.
- Yesterday was International Sex Worker’s Day. I celebrated by cleaning my house, because I had no idea yesterday was anything special or important. Woops. Let’s try that again next year.
- We need a new name. Why? Because while we’re a chapter of SWOP, I think the sex work “community” in New Orleans is unique. Plus, SWOP-NOLA is hard to pronounce (I say “swap,” but I hear other people say “swoop,” “swope,” and even “ess doubleyou oh pee”). My goal is to do this within the next month so that we can apply for nonprofit status and join NSWP and some other groups. Unfortunately, “Red Light NOLA” is apparently taken by some tour company that seems to imply that the red light district was in the French Quarter (it wasn’t; Storyville was where the Iberville Housing Projects are now, and I assume they’re not taking tourists for sightseeing trips there). Other suggestions?
- I’d like to create a list of sex-worker-friendly clinics and healthcare providers in the NOLA area. This would involve lots of phone calls and emails, etc. Anyone wanna help?