TAKE CHARGE is a Louisiana program that gives 4 free “family planning” visits per year at a provider of your choice.
“I used my TAKE CHARGE to go to Planned Parenthood for my birth control, and while I was there they helped me out with a vaginal infection I had too!”
– Anonymous New Orleans Sex Worker
You qualify if you are:
- between the ages of 19-44
- do not have kids or dependents
- make less than $2,000 a month
- and do not have health insurance
What it covers:
The TAKE CHARGE/ Family Planning Waiver program covers services including:
- Four physical examinations or necessary re-visits each year for services rendered by a physician, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant for the purpose of family planning.
- Laboratory tests for the purpose of family planning
- Approved medications and supplies (examples: birth control pills, patches, IUDs, diaphragms, etc.)
* Primary care services are not covered by the TAKE CHARGE program.
How to Apply:
Apply for TAKE CHARGE by filling out the online application at the Louisiana Medicaid Online Application Center.
“I filled out my application online, they asked me to fax them a copy of my ID and two weeks later my card came in the mail!”
~Anonymous New Orleans Sex Worker
For more information: