Here are the materials we have (and don’t have yet) for tabling at events. Obviously, some of these would also be useful for other purposes (info for clinics, etc.):
- SWOP-NOLA Safer Sex kits
- What is a Sex Worker? – well, this one is easy. we’ve got:
- Who are sex workers? from SexWorkersProject.org
- and pretty much anything on this page: What is Sex Work? (For Friends, Family, and Allies of Sex Workers).
- Sex Worker/Sex Work Myth vs. Fact: I’ve found a few things we could use:
- Sex Worker Myth Vs. Reality (from SexWorkersProject.org)
- Prostitution: Facts and Fictions – Ronald Weitzer: Well-researched (with cited sources!) article from someone in the sociology dept at George Washington University. I haven’t read the whole thing yet, but it looks promising so far.
- Decriminalization vs Legalization:
- Well, there’s Also, there’s Ten Reasons to Decriminalize Sex Work – from OpenSocietyFoundations.org.
- This stuff is all over the internets. Basically, we just need to make a flyer explaining the difference between decriminalization (sex work would no longer be a crime, and the government stays out of the sex lives of consenting adults) and legalization (there are laws regulating sex work and requiring certain things of sex workers–the brothels in Nevada, for example) and why we want decriminalization.
- Brief info sheets about SWOP itself and the sex workers’ rights movement in general:
- Here’s one about SWOP-NOLA:
- Here are some others: SWOP-NOLA promo flyers
- I think our home page describes what we do pretty accurately and succinctly.
- SWOP national no longer has anything like this on their website, but we do have the Mission Statement here.