Hello all! Hope 2015’s treating you well. Here’s a brief update on some of the things going on with us right now:
- There’s a SWOP chapter in Shreveport/Bossier City now! Their FB page is more active than their website at this point. So, if you’re based in North Louisiana, or if you occasionally visit, you should reach out!
- SexWorker Writing Group: One of our members would like to start a writing group specifically for local sex workers. Anyone interested? Email us and we’ll connect you with the person in charge of that.
- We finally have a way to accept tax-deductible donations! The donation goes to SWOP-USA, but it’s labeled SWOP-NOLA, and the funds come to us That way, SWOP-USA’s 501c3 status applies. Here’s a direct link, or there’s a Paypal button on the “How You Can Help” page of our website.
- Eros discount: Eros is offering SWOP members a 20% discount for 2015. If you use EROS, contact us for the coupon code!
- T Shirts: We know they’re awesome. We know you want ’em! WE want ’em! Unfortunately, they were in limited supply (I think there were 10 total). But we have more on the way, and we’ll have a selection of sizes to fit as many people as possible. So stay tuned! We’re all volunteers, and getting the resources, time, and talent together in the right combination all at once can take some time, so we appreciate your patience. We promise that as soon as we have new ones, we’ll let y’all know.
- Check out the pics of IDEVASW 2014 in NOLA and our rundown of what we did in 2014.
- March 3rd is International Sex Workers Rights Day. We’re still tossing around ideas about what we’ll be doing for that, but we’ll (hopefully) know within the next week or so. If you have a great idea, let us know about it.
- Support Group? We’re currently gauging interest in a sex-worker support group. If you think this is something you’d want to participate in, let us know. We’ve had a lot of people ask us if we offer one, and we haven’t so far, but if there’s enough interest…
- Scheduled Meetings: We’re working out some details re: the meeting schedule and format for this year. Ideally, we’d like to make meetings more comfortable and welcoming for people who are currently working locally, and this means we need to re-think how we go about meeting up. Stay tuned, and we’ll hopefully have the details worked out within the next few days. Thanks for your patience on this!
- VICE journalist seeking interview: If anyone’s interested, here’s his info:
Hi, my name is Mason Miller and i’m the New Orleans correspondent for VICE. I’m working on a story about how the recent spikes of violence in the French Quarter may be affecting sex workers. I’m really looking for statistics or some kind of log that chronicles issues of violence against workers in the quarter. If you have a moment to talk today, you can reach me through this email (email@example.com) or at 985-320-6361, Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.
- SWOP-USA has a snazzy new website!