Here are the materials we have (and don’t have yet) for tabling at events. Obviously, some of these would also be useful for other purposes (info for clinics, etc.):
- SWOP-NOLA Safer Sex kits
- What is a Sex Worker? – well, this one is easy. we’ve got:
- Who are sex workers? from SexWorkersProject.org
- and pretty much anything on this page: What is Sex Work? (For Friends, Family, and Allies of Sex Workers).
- Sex Worker/Sex Work Myth vs. Fact: I’ve found a few things we could use:
- Sex Worker Myth Vs. Reality (from SexWorkersProject.org)
- Prostitution: Facts and Fictions – Ronald Weitzer: Well-researched (with cited sources!) article from someone in the sociology dept at George Washington University. I haven’t read the whole thing yet, but it looks promising so far.
- Decriminalization vs Legalization:
- Well, there’s Also, there’s Ten Reasons to Decriminalize Sex Work – from OpenSocietyFoundations.org.
- This stuff is all over the internets. Basically, we just need to make a flyer explaining the difference between decriminalization (sex work would no longer be a crime, and the government stays out of the sex lives of consenting adults) and legalization (there are laws regulating sex work and requiring certain things of sex workers–the brothels in Nevada, for example) and why we want decriminalization.
- Brief info sheets about SWOP itself and the sex workers’ rights movement in general:
- Here’s one about SWOP-NOLA:
- Here are some others: SWOP-NOLA promo flyers
- I think our home page describes what we do pretty accurately and succinctly.
- SWOP national no longer has anything like this on their website, but we do have the Mission Statement here.
Printed postcard-size (Standard [5.47″ x 4.21″] or Small [6″ x 4″]) back and front.
Kourtney is our lovely intern. Here are some ideas for things she might want to do:
Ideas for Stuff Kourtney Might Do
Flyer at universities/colleges (we have flyers)
Social media stuff (Facebook and Twitter)
Promo of events and projects (writing group, March 3rd)
Find cost effective way to make DIY SWOP-NOLA t-shirts (blank shirts, screen printing supplies, etc.)
Look into stickers, etc.
Record pricing and draft a funding report https://swopchapters.wordpress.com/
Here are the things she has done or is currently doing for us. If she helps you with something, or if you get her to do something for you, please record it here (if you don’t have admin access to the website and you don’t feel like bothering with it, just post it in the comments) so that if she ever needs us to write something up for school, or if she needs a letter of recommendation, or if we need to justify why we had an intern, then it’s all right here for reference.
Stuff Kourtney is Doing or Has Done
Social meetups for local providers, dancers, escorts, anyone in the biz, etc. Anyone working in New Orleans, Baton Rouge, or the rest of Louisiana (or even along the Gulf Coast, if you want to drive that far) is welcome. No clients, no outsiders (unless otherwise stated).
On hiatus, because we’re all super busy and planning stuff is hard.
If you want to take this on, awesome! Let us know.
We can help with funding and refreshments, etc. For a lot of us, paying for stuff is easier than planning it. We are hoping and praying that’s not true for all sex workers in New Orleans, because we would love it if someone came along who really, really likes planning stuff