Who We Are:
Members of SWOP-NOLA include current and former Escorts, Professional Companions, Service Providers, Strippers, Exotic Dancers, FBSM / Erotic and Sensual Massage Practitioners, Pro-Dommes, Fetish Professionals, Cam Models, and Adult Entertainers of all types, genders, races, and sexualities (and allies!) in New Orleans and the surrounding area.
We are the local chapter of Sex Workers outreach Project USA, a national social justice network dedicated to the fundamental human rights of sex workers and their communities, focusing on ending violence and stigma through education and advocacy.
SWOP, at its most basic, is an anti-violence campaign. As a multi-state network of sex workers and advocates, we address locally and nationally the violence that sex workers experience because of their criminal status. Read the Official Mission Statement here.
What We Do:
- provide and distribute locally-relevant, sex-work-specific information and resources re: safety, health, and the law (both online and in print materials).
- foster a sense of community among local sex workers of all types, genders, socioeconomic groups, races, sexual orientations, etc.
- encourage that community to morph into a supergroup of mega-rockstars united in a mission to eradicate the stigma associated with sex work and the idea that sex workers are not deserving of respect and basic human rights.
What We Don’t Do:
- We are not a “rescue group.” We will not assist friends or family members in any attempt to persuade sex workers to leave their chosen profession. We are non-judgmental and emphasize harm reduction, as opposed to demand or supply reduction.
- We do not work with youth or minors (anyone under the age of 18). If you are under 18 and you need help, go here, or here, or here.
- We are not an employment agency. We will not offer advice on how to become a sex worker, and we will not give tips on advertising, finding clients, etc.
- We are not an advertising board. We will not host ads for services or serve as a networking site for providers and clients.
- We do not condone, participate in, or support sex trafficking, or any other type of human trafficking/forced labor.